Temple, TX and surrounding areas News

ARTICLE

Date ArticleType
1/24/2017 Member News
First Presbyterian Church to Receive Historic Temple Marker

The Temple Historic Preservation Committee will hold a reception honoring the First Presbyterian Church as the latest recipient of a Temple Historic Marker. The reception will be held Thursday, February 9th, 2017 at 4:00 p.m., at the First Presbyterian Church located at 12 W. French Avenue in Temple.



First Presbyterian is the oldest congregation in Temple. The Santa Fe Railroad offered free lots to any church willing to erect a building, and a few Temple Presbyterian families organized a church in the fall of 1881. The original frame church building was located on the southwest corner of North 1st Street and Barton Avenue and was the first erected church building in the City of Temple. The current church building on West French Street was built in 1929 at a cost of $35,000. An education wing was added in 1957 and the renovation of Fellowship Hall and restoration of the stained glassed windows took place in 1985. Groundbreaking for the addition began in August 2002 with the renovations completed in 2003.



The Historic Marker Program was designed to recognize historically significant structures within the city, while encouraging preservation and restoration. The program was recently expanded to include Historic businesses and organizations. In order for a property or organization to be considered for a Temple Historic Marker, the property owner must fill out an application and submit it with supporting documentation to the Historic Preservation Committee. After an application is submitted the committee will review the pending application and make a decision. Anyone interested in learning more about First Presbyterian Church or the Temple Historic Marker Program is encouraged to attend. Please RSVP by calling the Temple Visitor Center at 298-5900. To obtain a Historic Marker application, please contact Sennett Farias at 254-298-5418.